Founder and Chairman of the Board — Mann Eye Institute
Commercial Real Estate Developer | Bank Investor | Philanthropist
Paul Michael Mann graduated from Centenary College with a BA and from LSU School of Medicine with an M.D. He did his internship at Baylor College of Medicine. His Ophthalmology Residency was at Tulane University. Dr. Mann proudly served his country from 1970-1973 as a flight surgeon with the rank of major in the United States Airforce. He was honorably discharged in 1973 and served in the USAF Reserves until 1977. Paul Michael “Mike” Mann, MD, began his career in ophthalmology as a solo practitioner in October 1977. Under his vision and guidance, Mann Eye Institute has grown to eighteen locations in Houston and Austin, TX, and is nationally recognized as one of the premier eye care practices in the country. Dr. Mann’s entrepreneurship extends not only to ophthalmology, but also to endeavors in real estate, banking and philanthropy.
- Paul Michael Mann, MD is a board-certified ophthalmologist by the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Over the years, he has participated in FDA clinical studies, lectured on results, and developed new techniques and products to improve the surgical outcomes of his patients.
- In October 2017, Dr. Mann celebrated 40 years in practice. Today, Mann Eye Institute consists of 18 locations with 2 offices in Austin, TX; 2 Ambulatory Surgery Centers; 5 LASIK centers; 11 ophthalmologists; 26 optometrists with a total of 288 employees.
- Dr. Mann is one of the first eye surgeons in the country to integrate ophthalmology and optometry in the early 1980’s, hiring and training optometrists in clinical assessment and surgical care.
- One of the first eye surgeons in Texas to develop and build AAAHC Medicare approved outpatient ambulatory surgery centers (ASC).
- Pioneered laser vision correction (LASIK) surgery with Ralph Berkeley, MD, in the early 1990’s. Today LASIK is the most common vision correction procedure performed worldwide.
- Dr. Mann has personally performed over 40,000 LASIK cases and 50,000 Cataract cases. His philosophy of patient care is reflected throughout the entire practice.
- Dr. Mann serves on the Windsor Group Board of Directors, a nationally acclaimed group of ophthalmic practices.
- Voted by Forbes Magazine three times as one of the Top 10 LASIK practices in the country.
- One of the first practices in Texas to offer patients the advanced laser technologies of Wave Light Excimer Laser for Lasik and first in the United States to use Catalys Femtosecond Laser for cataract surgery.
- Active Member Benevolent Mission International
- Performing cataract surgery and eye examinations in third world countries
- Co- chair for annual fundraising events in 2015 and 2016
- Mike Mann has served on bank boards and has invested in area banks since 1980.
- Past projects include:
- Co-founder of Humble National Bank, Humble, TX in 1980.
- Served on holding company boards and bank boards until 1989.
- Co-founder of Northwest National Bank and Sealy National Bank under the Humble National Bank holding company.
- Solely recapitalized Humble National Bank in 1993. Controlled 99% of the stock.
- Served as Chairman of the Board for Humble National Bank until it was sold to Sterling Bank in 1997.
- During this four-year period, Humble National Bank grew from $1.3 million in assets to $55 million in assets.
- Served on Sterling Bank Board from 1997- 2004.
- One of three original investors in Allegiance Bank of Texas in 2007.
- Served on the holding company board for Allegiance Bank of Texas from 2008 to April 2019.
- Real estate investment and development has paralleled his medical career with successful project completions of medical office buildings, hotels, resorts, a rehabilitation center and a cattle ranch.
- Current projects include investment and development of two medical office buildings:
- 50,000 square foot multispecialty building in Round Rock, TX
- 150,000 square foot building in the Museum District of Houston, TX.
- Past projects include:
- Purchased 22 prime acres in Cack Bay, LA in 1975 for oil and gas leasing
- Purchased land in 1979 in Humble, TX for a new office building with a 2,500 square foot clinic, a pharmacy and an optical shop.
- Developed and built a 15,000 square foot office building in 1985.
- Purchased 2 buildings in the same area that were renovated and later sold.
- Purchased 400 acres in Colorado and co-developed Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort with 50 rooms. Sold with partners.
- Co-developed with partner in mid-1980 the Humble Skilled Care Facility (Rehabilitation center) in Humble, TX. Sold to Health South in early 1990’s.
- Bought and renovated 15,000 square foot medical building in mid-1980 and sold in 1994.
- Bought and renovated 12,000 square foot office building on I-10 in 1993 and sold in 2002.
- Purchased 7 acres adjacent to hospital in 2002 and sold in 2003 to hospital.
- Purchased 3 blocks of land and 38,000 square foot office and bank buildings in Houston Museum District in 2002.
- Renovated 27,000 square foot portion of the building opening Mann Eye Institute in 2003. In 2007, built an Ambulatory Surgery Center on the 1st floor of the building.
- Limited partner and investor in hotel group including the original Valencia hotel in San Jose, CA. Personally guaranteed completion of this hotel.
- Designed and built a 3 story, 94,000 square foot Gold LEED certified building in Katy, TX, that included on the first floor, the Mann Eye Institute Katy clinic and LASIK surgery center and the Westgreen multispecialty ambulatory surgery center.
- First clinic lease with the Veteran’s Administration in the country, who now successfully occupy the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Katy building.
- Bought 17,000 square foot building in Austin Texas in 2013 and renovated part for Mann Eye Institute and lease remaining space.
- Sold an ambulatory surgery center in 2015.
- Owns 850 acres in Grimes and Washington counties. Today the land is a working cattle ranch.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Mann has made many charitable donations and has generously given of his time.
- Past President of Rotary club of Humble
- Past President of Executive Club of Houston
- Past Board Member of St. Luke’s Methodist Church
- Board Member Centenary College of Louisiana
- Board Member Houston Symphony
- Annual Support for Barbara Bush Literacy Foundation – Advisory Board
- Founder Yellow Rose Eye Foundation
- Supported staff and community during and after hurricane Harvey
- Provide vision screenings for children in area elementary schools
- Participant in Prevent Blindness Texas complimentary eye exam program