Have you been diagnosed with glaucoma? The trusted physicians at Mann Eye Institute want to help you See Life Better.
WHAT IS GLAUCOMA?
Glaucoma is a condition associated with pressure in the eye. It is characterized by damage to the optic nerve with slow vision loss that can lead to blindness. Glaucoma affects two million Americans, and half of those people are unaware they even have the disease. Glaucoma can run in families.
For this reason, Mann Eye Institute puts great emphasis on early detection. Every person over the age of 40 should have a comprehensive eye exam once a year, where they will be screened for glaucoma.
How is Glaucoma Diagnosed?
We look at the following factors when determining a diagnosis of glaucoma:
- The appearance of the optic nerve
- A peripheral vision test (sometimes called a visual field test)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (also called OCT)
- Gonioscopy of the Angle (or drainage system of the eye)
- Pachymetry (or thickness of the cornea)
- Medical history
- Family history
- Glaucoma chart
Does glaucoma run in your family? Schedule your comprehensive eye exam today to learn more about testing for glaucoma.
How is Glaucoma Treated?
It’s important to choose a trusted and experienced doctor for your glaucoma management. We want our patients to enjoy a high quality of life while managing their glaucoma. We offer both minimally invasive techniques as well as conventional glaucoma surgery when needed.
The options for glaucoma treatment fall into the following categories:
- Laser treatments
- Minimally-invasive glaucoma surgery (implants)
- Conventional glaucoma surgery
Everyone is unique and has different needs, wants and lifestyles. For that reason, glaucoma treatment is very individualized. For each patient, a personalized treatment and follow-up plan will be discussed and organized.
The goal of glaucoma therapy is to preserve your present level of vision and to prevent further peripheral, and sometimes central, vision loss. The treatment plan will vary depending on the type of glaucoma diagnosed, the degree to which the glaucoma has progressed, any underlying risk factors you may have and many other variables.
Glaucoma services at Mann Eye Institute include:
- Evaluation of glaucoma suspect
- Evaluation of mild, moderate and severe glaucoma
- Evaluation of narrow angles
- Selective laser trabeculoplasty
- Laser peripheral iridotomy
- DURYSTA™ implantation
- iStent™ implantation (watch video below for more details)
- Goniotomy with Kahook dual blade
- Tube shunt