Telling the story of Mann Eye Institute is synonymous with telling the story of the practice’s namesake and founder, Dr. Mike Mann. Dr. Mann had a vision to create a different kind of eye care practice, and has been perfecting that vision since 1977.
More than a provider of the latest advancements in ophthalmology, Dr. Mann’s vision wasn’t just about technology – it was about people. Each person that walked through the doors of his once single-location practice was treated with respect. Honor. Dignity. Gratefulness. And each team member who joined the growing Mann Eye family of providers committed to sharing this same philosophy.
That commitment has never wavered. Still, today, when you walk into one of Mann Eye Institute’s many locations, you’ll feel the warmth. You’ll feel like part of the family. Because in our eyes, you are. Welcome to the Mann Eye Family.
- 1977Dr. Mike Mann founded Mann Eye Institute in Humble, Texas.
- 1999A new day in vision correction, LASIK received FDA approval! Dr. Mike Mann was a true pioneer in this procedure and was among the first to perform LASIK in Houston.
- 2002Hello, Cleveland! Mann Eye Institute partners with a trusted provider, Vision Source, and expands into Cleveland, Texas.
- 2002Early Adopters: True to our commitment to pioneer advances in technology, Mann Eye Institute invests in and commits to All-Laser LASIK with the introduction of the IntraLase femtosecond and VisX Excimer laser platforms. Allegretto wavelight technology followed in 2005.
- 2003Hello, Katy! Mann Eye Institute partners with Jerry Sheldon, MD, a reputable ophthalmologist in the area and expands into Katy, Texas.
- 2007Hello, Sugar Land! Mann Eye Institute joins with Freedom LASIK to expand services in Sugar Land, Texas
- 2007, 2008, 2009Named as one of Forbes Magazine’s Top 10 LASIK Surgeons
- 2011Hello, Spring! Mann Eye Institute partners with trusted provider Guy Beavers, OD, and expands into Spring, Texas.
- 2012Goodbye, dry eye! Texas’ first Ocular Surface Treatment Center opened at Mann Eye Institute. Dr. Victoria Chin was the first in Texas (second in the country!) to introduce LipiFlow® for the treatment of chronic dry eye. Prior to joining the Mann Eye family, Dr. Chin helped to launch LipiFlow® at Japan’s busiest LASIK practice.
- 2013Hello, The Woodlands! Mann Eye Institute partners with Woodlands Custom Vision, a longtime local provider, and expands into The Woodlands, Texas.
- 2015 - 2016
- 2017Happy Anniversary to us! Mann Eye Institute celebrates 40 years helping Texans See Life Better.
- 2018 - 2019Houston Chronicle recognizes Mann Eye Institute in "Top Workplaces"
- 2020The sky is the limit! Millions of patients served!
Veteran Owned, Texas ProudAt Mann Eye Institute, service is a lifestyle. We are led by Dr. Mike Mann, a veteran who proudly served his country from 1970-1973 as a Flight Surgeon in the United States Air Force. At Mann Eye Institute, we are proud of our roots and our heritage. Texan through and through, you can trust your vision, and the vision of your family, to the eye experts at Mann Eye Institute.
Mann Eye Institute has a longstanding commitment to service in Houston and Austin; service to the local community and service to the individual. Led by our founder Dr. Mike Mann, Mann Eye Institute embodies a culture of giving back that is exemplified in ways large and small and can be felt throughout the state of Texas.
Here are just a few of the organizations we are honored to support and be a part of:
The Rosa Amarillo Foundation is a charitable organization led by Dr. Mike Mann whose mission is to provide improvement and restoration of vision, thereby enhancing people's lives. The organization's primary focus is proving site-saving procedures for children and adults who could not otherwise afford them.
We donate thousands of pairs of glasses to this organization. Eyes of Hope supports local communities around the globe through initiatives that provide access to eye care, eyewear and disaster relief to places where they’re needed most.
The Houston Food Bank is a solution to both hunger and food waste, distributing 104 million nutritious meals through its network of 1,500 community partners in southeast Texas, feeding 800,000 individuals each year.
This organization transforms individuals and communities in need of hope through the power of art.
This Austin-based non-profit strengthens families so children succeed. With services that meet people where they are – at home, work or school – Any Baby Can provides in-home therapy, parent education, mental health counseling, medical case management, resource navigation and other support services.
We are proud to partner with the largest autism advocacy organization in the United States. Autism Speaks sponsors autism research and conducts awareness and outreach activities aimed at families and communities.
The Flatwater Foundation is dedicated to providing those diagnosed with cancer, their families and loved ones access to mental health therapy and family support. Mann Eye surgeons Dr. Luke Barker and Dr. David Tremblay have participated in the organization’s annual fundraising event, Dam That Cancer. See their story here.
We proudly support this non-profit organization that funds cardiovascular medical research, educates consumers on healthy living and fosters appropriate cardiac care in an effort to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke.