You’re Ready To Have LASIK
That’s great! Amazing! The next step is finding the right LASIK surgeon for you – one that you feel comfortable with and confident in. After all, you only get one set of eyes for a lifetime and caring for them is essential! Taking the time to research the best surgeon for your procedure will help create a satisfying LASIK experience and visual outcome.
Finding The Best LASIK Surgeons
Knowing what to look for and what questions to ask when searching for a LASIK surgeon is daunting at best and overwhelming at worst. A checklist can help. Some important things to consider when you research qualifications, skills, and reputation of refractive surgeons should include:
- Word of mouth. Knowing someone who has had LASIK and is thrilled with their results is probably the number one way people decide who to trust with their own LASIK procedure. After all, we tend to listen to people we trust, right?
- Referrals. Asking for a referral from your optometrist or primary care physician is a great place to start. Tell your doctor that you want the LASIK surgeon in your area they trust the most.
- Board certification. This means that a specialty within the American Board of Medical Specialties has certified the surgeon to practice his or her specialty. The American Board of Ophthalmology is one such organization that requires board-certified physicians to complete specific training and continuing education related to their specialty. Specifically, look for a board-certified ophthalmologist.
- Licensing. State licensing boards can validate a surgeon’s credentials. You can also check a surgeon’s credentials through the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) membership. The ACS upholds ethical standards of conduct for all its members, who must also be board certified in their specialty. Surgeons who use the designation “FACS” after their names are Fellows of the American College of Surgeons.
- Experience. Simply put, experience matters. How many years has the surgeon you’re considering practiced? How many LASIK procedures has he or she performed during that time?
- Technology. Look for a practice that uses the latest diagnostic and treatment technology, including state-of-the-art laser platforms.
- Reviews. In today’s connected culture, online reviews cannot be ignored. Internet reviews sites, such as Yelp and Healthgrades, have a growing influence on doctors’ reputations and ability to attract new patients.
- Social Media. Polling your friends on social media is another easy way to get some quick (and honest!) feedback from people you know and trust.
In addition to the items on this checklist, you can also do a simple Google search for LASIK surgeons in your area (for example, a search for “LASIK Houston“) and learn more about these doctors from their own websites. Just remember to take website bios with a grain of salt because they are crafted by people trying to convince you to come to them.
Also, here are a few questions you can ask when meeting with a potential surgeon at a LASIK consultation:
- How long have you been performing LASIK?
- How many LASIK procedures have you done in the last 12 months?
- What percentage of your patients achieve 20/20 vision or better after LASIK? 20/40?
- What percentage of your patients have unresolved complications six months after surgery (halos, glare, dry eye)?
- Do you perform the post-op care or does a technician?
- What percentage of your patients need enhancement? Do you charge for enhancements?
- Is LASIK the only vision-correcting procedure you perform?
Mann Eye Institute’s LASIK Surgeons Among Most Experienced In The Nation
At Mann Eye Institute, we know that excellent surgical results are directly linked to excellent patient care. Throughout our 40-year history, we have always understood that each patient has unique vision needs and goals. Our accomplished refractive surgeons have been at the forefront of vision correction since our earliest days. Early adopters of advanced technology, Mann Eye is pleased to offer the Wavelight® System for customized All-Laser vision correction.
Mann Eye Institute’s unwavering commitment to personalized patient care, advanced surgical expertise, the latest technology, and outstanding results has earned us a reputation for excellence in eye care. Thousands of patients from all over the country have trusted their vision to our dedicated team of board-certified ophthalmologists and eye surgeons.